Monday, February 25, 2013

The Death of Saladin

The Death of Saladin



You left ground and sky weeping,
 mind and soul full of grief.

No one can take your place in existence 
or in absence. Both mourn, 
the angels, the prophets, and this sadness 
I feel has taken from me the taste of language,

so that I can’t say the flavor
 of my being apart. The roof 
of the kingdom within has collapsed!

When I say the word you, 
I mean a hundred universes.

Pouring grief of water, or secret dripping
 in the heart, eyes in the head or eyes
 of the soul, I saw yesterday 
that all these flow out to find you 
when you’re not here.

That bright fire bird Saladin 
went like an arrow, and now the bow
 trembles and sobs.

If you know how to weep for human beings, 
weep for Saladin.



From The Book of Love
Translated by Coleman Barks