Monday, February 25, 2013

That Moon Which The Sky Never Saw

That Moon Which The Sky Never Saw



That moon which the sky never saw
 even in dreams
 has risen again.
 
 Bringing a fire
 that no water can drown.

See here where the body
 has its house
and see here my soul.

     The cup of love has made the one
drunk
 and the other a ruin.
 
When the tavern keeper
 became my heart's companion.
 
  Love turned my blood
 to wine
  and my heart burned on a spit.
 
When the eye is full of him
 a voice resounds,
 
 Oh cup
be praised
oh wine be proud.

Suddenly when my heart saw
the ocean of love,

   it leapt away from me calling
 Look for me.

The face of Shams-ud Din
  the glory of Tabriz

    is the sun that hearts follow
 like clouds.



From East Window: Poems from Asia,
 Translated by W. S. Merwin